♥ FACT: Heart disease is the #1 killer of women.
♥ FACT: A woman is 10 times more likely to die from heart disease than from breast cancer.
♥ FACT: Today, in the US, 42% of women who have heart attacks die within one year (vs. 24% of men).
The American Heart Association identifies the most common signs of a heart attack:
- Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. It lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
- As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.